A Year in Cupcakes

I've always had a fondness for baking ~ cooking I hate, but baking I love! Right now I've caught the cupcake bug & occasionally daydream of opening a cupcake shop. So, I've decided to begin this blog in order to chronicle a year in cupcakes ~ at least one new cupcake recipe every week. This blog is to serve as a journal of sorts for me to keep track of the good & the bad, the recipes that should be sent off to Betty Crocker & those that should be burned. I'm also looking forward to hearing from those who are learning with me & from those who are tenured in the art of baking ~ suggestions, comments, whatever ~ all are welcome!

Sunday, September 12, 2010

9.10.10 Wedding Business


No new recipes were attempted this week.  Instead, I filled an order for 100 cupcakes for a wedding: 50 Red Carpet Glamour and 50 Mimosas.  I've never made that many and it turned out to be even more work than I expected, especially since I was working from my smaller-than-average apartment kitchen.  The only (sort of) new recipe that was used was for the red velvet.  As I mentioned on my Red Carpet Glamour post, I thought that they lacked flavor.  So, I got new recipe from a friend that has a chocolate cake base instead of white.  Wow!  So much better.  Unfortunately, I can't post that one since it is a family secret.  However, I will give one of the secrets away...pudding!  Adding instant chocolate pudding mix to the dry ingredients made such a difference in the moistness of the cake.  I guess this is pretty common knowledge in the baking world...but I didn't know!






   




On top of the actual baking of the cupcakes, Steve & I built the stand for the cupcakes.  Again, more time spent than expected, but it turned out nicely.  On the plus side, I now have a stand that I can use for other events if necessary.











Back to baking new recipes...Steve's birthday was this week, but he was out of town and won't get back until this Wednesday.  So, I was thinking that I would try a new recipe for his birthday dessert: Chocolate Butterscotch.  (Hopefully) Yum!

2 comments: